If you are thinking of publishing a book of your very own, you should have a set plan. This is because book publishing is a very volatile and unpredictable process. And if you don’t have a set plan, you could have a hard time finishing it. So before you even start writing your book, you should already know your publishing options. That way, once your manuscript is ready, you will be able to get started on the publishing process right away. As a beginner writer, your two best choices are traditional publishing and self-publishing. Both options are quite effective, but if you want to get the best publishing results, you will need to choose well. Here are some facts about the two options to help you choose.
This type of publishing is considered as the most mainstream and popular publishing option available. It entails the writer to approach traditional publishing houses. Getting a publishing deal with an established publishing house is a big deal, because they are usually very difficult to get, and it is akin to winning the lottery for some writers.
- The traditional publishing houses usually do most of the work for published authors.
- The publishing house will usually pay for the entire publishing process.
- Most publishing houses have good relations with traditional bookshops and established online retailers.
- Traditionally published books usually have an edge when it comes to the book marketing process.
- Traditional publishing houses are notoriously hard to get a publishing deal with.
- You will have to give up a percentage of your book rights and royalties to the company.
- You will follow the publishing schedule of the publishing house.
- You will have to give up creative control over your book.
Self-publishing is the polar opposite of traditional publishing. This is because self-publishing entails the author to do most of the work. And they are expected to pay for the entire book publishing process themselves. Years ago, self-publishing was considered too difficult to pull off because of its work intensive nature. It was also deemed too expensive to be considered a publishing option. But due to the advancements in publishing technology, it has become a popular and viable publishing option.
- You get to keep the rights and royalties to your books.
- You can get started on the publishing process right away.
- You will have overall control over the publishing process.
- You will have to pay for the entire publishing process.
- You will have to do most of the work.
- Traditional bookstores are wary of selling self-published books, so selling your book through traditional bookstores may not be an option.