If you are thinking of writing a book of your very own, you should make some very important decisions. One such decision is whether to write in fiction or non-fiction. This is a difficult decision because your choice could affect your overall writing career. But seeing as this is a very important choice, you will need to be as well-informed as possible. That way, once you do start writing your book you won’t have any second thoughts or doubts. Here are some facts you should know before you do choose.
Fiction is considered as any narrative that consist of imaginary people, events and descriptions. It consists of various genres, such as science fiction, high fantasy, thrillers, mystery, dystopia to name but a few. Some of the stories may be based on real people and events such as historical fiction. There are many types of fiction but they all share the trait of being works of imagination and not of fact.
- You can express your artistry more freely through fiction writing.
- The chance to develop your storytelling skills more effectively.
- A wider audience due to the multifaceted nature of fiction writing.
- Fiction writing is a great form of therapeutic treatment.
- You will have a lot of competition
- It takes a long time to write a work fiction
- There are a lot of critiques out there.
Non-fiction is the polar opposite of fiction. Where fiction writing is based on imaginary concepts non-fiction is fact based. What really matters in non-fiction is the truth and accuracy of the information, events and people that you write about.
- Seeing as non-fiction is really fact based you will have to do a lot of research. This will increase your research skills and add to your repertoire of skills as a writer.
- You will be able to base your work on fact. So if any readers have issues with your work, you can bring your research to bear quite easily.
- Non-fiction writing is more systematic and efficient. Just as long as you do your research well of course.
- Non-fiction takes a bit more time to write. This is because it is based on fact. So you will have to do a lot of research before you can get started on the writing process.
- The ramifications of making a mistake when writing non-fiction is more severe. This is because non-fiction books are expected to be well researched before they are released. And if your book has any factual mistakes or inconsistencies, it could really hurt your reputation as a writer.
When it comes to choosing between writing fiction and non-fiction, it really depends on you. But if you want to be a truly multifaceted writer, it always pays to write in both. You can focus predominantly on one type of literature but you could try writing in the other, just to expand your writing skills. Overall, the more well-rounded you are as a writer, the better.